• Join the Puerto Pollensa Community Forums

    Provide or get advice on everything Puerto Pollensa, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community.


    Join our Community!

News reports 2019.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sparky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...-deal-with-residency-application-backlog.html

Nine extra workers are to be employed in immigration offices and the National Police Force in the Balearics.

The new staff are needed to help clear the backlog of applications for residency in the run up to Brexit and to deal with an increasing number of requests for information.

...


If and when Brexit occurs, British citizens who live in Spain must have a registration certificate from the National Police, and those who don’t have one are advised to contact the Immigration Office as soon as possible.

“The most important change that’s taking place is that the Mercury platform is now accepting initial applications as well as renewals,” says Maria Alarcos. ...

Esther Ribas also pointed out that British nationals have a limited period of time to apply for residency. ...

...

see full article on the MDB website
 
Coals from a barbeque ... claimed 2347 hectare

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...rs-demanded-for-tramuntana-fire-mallorca.html

The person accused of having been responsible for starting the devastating forest fire in the Tramuntana Mountains in July 2013 told the Provincial Court in Palma on Monday that he accepted that he had been responsible.

... The resultant fire claimed 2,347 hectares and was the worst ever in the Balearics.

...

Another Seprona officer said that the accused had acted unwisely. Anyone should have known not to have deposited barbecue coals on dry vegetation,... Nevertheless, the accused should have poured water onto the barbecue remains before getting rid of them.

The prosecution service is calling for a sentence of seven and a half years and, in addition, is demanding payment of a fine and compensation totaling six million euros.

see full article on the MDB website
 
Wow....that is incredible. I remember not that long ago clearing up the remains of a bonfire and chucking on the compost heap. It had burnt out the night before....but a few hours later I spotted a load of smoke and it had kicked off again. Fortunately a couple of watering cans and all was well. Therefore, whilst this guy was a bit stupid considering the area, he probably thought the coals were long since dead! I think prison might be a bit harsh!
 
... I think prison might be a bit harsh!

I thought the same first, but with him being local on an island that runs fire prevention programs all year round since 2000 and have a high risk of forest fire as a normal declaration every summer, I think he was more than 'unwise' in discarding the barbecue coals the way he did, when pouring water over it.

Should it be as as long as seven and a half years though, I don't know.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...mer-fire-prevention-campaign-has-started.html
 
Wow....that is incredible. I remember not that long ago clearing up the remains of a bonfire and chucking on the compost heap. It had burnt out the night before....but a few hours later I spotted a load of smoke and it had kicked off again. Fortunately a couple of watering cans and all was well. Therefore, whilst this guy was a bit stupid considering the area, he probably thought the coals were long since dead! I think prison might be a bit harsh!

BBQ's and bonfires are usually banned by law in the summer months, so if this was the case then he was breaking the law which is probably why the prosecution feel he should go to prison.
 
BBQ's and bonfires are usually banned by law in the summer months, so if this was the case then he was breaking the law which is probably why the prosecution feel he should go to prison.

Ooh....fair enough then. He certainly should have made sure the coals were dead, that's for sure. If nothing else, it raises awareness of how easy it is to start a fire out there in summer.
 
BBQ's and bonfires are usually banned by law in the summer months, so if this was the case then he was breaking the law which is probably why the prosecution feel he should go to prison.


Bonfires probably but surely BBQ's aren't banned on your own land? If so I've broken the law a few times! As far as I remember it was a German property owner who tipped the remains of his BBQ over the garden fence onto dry vegetation :eek: Pretty dumb!

I wonder why the case has taken so long to come to court?
 
Bonfires probably but surely BBQ's aren't banned on your own land? If so I've broken the law a few times! As far as I remember it was a German property owner who tipped the remains of his BBQ over the garden fence onto dry vegetation :eek: Pretty dumb!

I wonder why the case has taken so long to come to court?

debz1, i think having a BBQ on a terrace or balcony is OK but not if it's in an area surrounded by vegetation ;).
 
...
I wonder why the case has taken so long to come to court?

According to this (German) article, the investigating judge presented his final report in Sept 2017, looking for a 5 year prison sentence for gross negligence. The state prosecutor asked a court to review the final report as the sentence wasn't enough for them and they wanted 'endangerment of human lives' included.

- https://www.mallorcamagazin.com/nac...ldbrand-auf-mallorca-entzweit-die-justiz.html )


The original reporting about the arrest in 2013 would suggest he's not German.
 
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...lion-british-tourists-deal-brexit-report.html

The European Travel Commission, which comprises EU member states and non-EU countries such as Norway, has published its latest report. “European Tourism: Trends and Perspectives” concludes that a no-deal Brexit would have a permanent downward effect on UK travel and tourism across Europe.

The impact would differ country by country, but the report suggests that Spain would be the most affected. ...

... The most worrying aspect would be that losses experienced by different countries would be permanent. ...

see full article on the MDB website
 
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...-villages-join-spain-most-beautiful-list.html

At its assembly in Zamora this weekend, the Los Pueblos Más Bonitos de España association has announced the latest villages to join its network as the "most beautiful" in Spain. There are two in Majorca - Alcudia and Pollensa.

...

Of Pollensa, the association explains that it is at the foot of the Tramuntana Mountains and that there has been civilisation for more than 3,000 years. Its historic centre has a "strong mediaeval essence". Its people have known how to maintain its whole personality intact.

Alcudia and Pollensa will be incorporated into the list of "pueblos más bonitos" from the start of next year.
...

see full article on the MDB website
 
More bus connections in the north of Mallorca

New concessionaire wants to expand service significantly from November 2020

Larger and more modern buses as well as more connections and higher frequencies in the north of Mallorca : This was promised on Thursday (5.12.) In Alcúdia the Balearic Minister of Transport and Housing, Marc Pons, as well as the new concessionaire of the bus connections in this part of the island. The new service is scheduled to start in November 2020.

Among other things, higher frequencies are planned between Palma de Mallorca and Playa de Muro . Port de Pollença and Sóller as well as a new line between Muro , Sa Pobla and the bay of Palma de Mallorca . The concessionaire - the bus company Grupo Ruiz - intends to acquire 73 new buses powered by natural gas and nine electric buses. The company wants to set up the required three natural gas filling stations in Alcúdia , Inca and Palma de Mallorca.
Higher frequencies

Higher frequencies
On the four main routes , the frequency of connections should increase. Between Palma de Mallorca and Sóller , the buses will operate every 30 minutes (instead of every hour), between Palma de Mallorca and Playa de Muro every 30 minutes (currently every one and a half hours), between Palma de Mallorca and Port de Pollença every hour ( instead of one and a half hours) and between Alcúdia and Can Picafort every 12 minutes (instead of 15 minutes).

From April to October, a new connection is also to be established connecting the municipalities of Muro, Sa Pobla , Inca , Campanet y Búger with the Bay of Alcúdia. This not only benefits holidaymakers, but above all the employees in the tourist resorts in the north. Another innovation is a separate bus service between Pollença , Port de Pollená and Alcúdia.
So the airport bus drives

Airport bus
The Aerotib A32 airport bus is scheduled to run every 75 minutes to the Son Bauló estate in Can Picafort (in the summer between 6 am and 12 pm, in winter between 7 am and 8 pm only to Inca, with transfer possibilities there). Búger and Campanet are connected to the main lines by shuttle services. Larger stops to change in Inca and Port de Pollença arise.

Google translated from: https://www.mallorcazeitung.es/lokales/2019/12/06/mehr-busverbindungen-norden-mallorca/72889.html
 
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...triates-register-before-january-deadline.html

The Spanish Home Office announced yesterday that, from next week, a special exclusive service for British residents is being set up at ‘extranjeria’, the immigration office where EU residents need to register to be residents, in order to help those UK expatriates living in the Balearics register before the UK leaves the European Union in theory at the end of next month.

According to the Home Office sources, there are an estimated 25,000 Britons living in the Balearics of which 15,000 are registered which means that some 10,000 have yet to complete their paperwork and could face losing their European rights in Spain post Brexit.
In anticipation of yet another surge in demand, three extra civil servants are going to be on duty and on hand to only help British residents.

...

The same also applies to those residents who have not exchanged their UK driving license for a Spanish one, as required by law.

Furthermore, Home Office sources also underlined the need for all registered British residents to make sure that they have now outstanding debts or payments on their Balearic properties or tax office come Brexit day.

...

“Some had probably not thought of doing it, but with Brexit it is important to get residency papers,” Home Office sources said.

This is the message that the British Embassy and the various consulates across Spain have been trying to drive home over the past few years as part of an on going campaign on social media and regular meetings with expatriates up and down the country.

see full article and all details on the MDB website
 
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...lood-bank-needs-your-help-over-christmas.html

The Balearic Blood and Tissue Bank, or Bstib, is appealing for urgent help and says at least 1,000 donations are needed to guarantee transfusions over the Christmas and New Year holidays.

“Blood is desperately needed for cancer patients, those with chronic diseases, anyone who’s involved in an accidents, for complicated deliveries and other urgent cases,” said a Bstib spokesperson.

In order to give blood, donors must weigh more than 50 kilos, 18 to 65 years old and be in good health. Men can donate up to four times a year and women three times.

In Palma, donations can be made between now and Saturday at the blood banks, in Carrer de Rosselló and Carrer de Cazador between 8am and 8.30pm and there are a number of other donation points across the Balearic Islands.


one can also donate blood in Pollensa tomorrow -
http://www.donasang.org/on-puc-donar/calendari/34151/pollenca
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top